Although a regular stagecoach mail system was set up from Whitehorse to Dawson City, dogsleds were used for several more decades to carry the mail to outlying areas. Freight dog sleds, such as this was usually operated during the winter months by a single man with a dog-team. This particular sled is believed to be the mail sled used to haul mail to the township of Mayo. In 1906, miners found deposits of silver and copper near Mayo Landing. The area was not developed until 1913, and a post office was officially opened there on June 19, 1914. Mr. J. Johnston became the first postmaster at Mayo, Yukon Territory.
Despite the progress in modern North American travel there were still few options for winter delivery to the minor settlements. Dogsleds offered a choice method of travel. The lack of roads did not impede the dogs from taking the most direct route as they could travel over frozen lakes and they could pass through dense forests. They were capable of covering long distances while hauling several hundred pounds of precious letters or freight.
Yukon Transportation Museum, Whitehorse