The flag for the British Yukon Navigation Company was fairly simple in design and was used as a logo for signs and insignia. It is white with a red cross on the diagonal and each section carries the initial of B, Y, N, and Co.
In 1900, the White Pass and Yukon Route completed the railway from Skagway, Alaska to Whitehorse, Yukon. To expand their transportation system the company created a river division under the name of British Yukon Navigation Company which carried passengers and cargo along the Yukon River. Within three years BYN Co. owned all but three boats on the Upper River. Sternwheelers became the main method of summer transportation in the Yukon. With erratic river conditions, the highly skilled captains had to navigate down narrow streams through irregular rock formations, powerful rapids, and sand bars. Surely, this was no easy feat and many boats met their end in the Yukon. Large passenger sternwheelers could carry more then 150 passengers while cargo vessels could carry approximately 200 tons of freight.
The British Yukon Navigation company ran sternwheelers for more than 50 years along the Yukon River. Over the course of the river division's existence, the British Yukon Navigation Company owned and operated over two hundred and fifty sternwheelers. The S.S Klondike a riverboat from the British Yukon Navigation Companies fleet now sits on the bank of the Yukon River in Whitehorse. It was restored to its 1937-1940 likeness by Parks Canada. As a historic site, the S.S. Klondike offers tours for visitors during the summer months.
Yukon Transportation Museum, Whitehorse