This religious hanging was made for the Anglican Church in the small community of Rampart House in Northern Yukon. The hanging was crafted for the church which consisted of a mainly Takudh speaking congregation. The words spell out 'with love' in the Takudh language. Bishop Henry Marsh collected the hanging from the then abandoned Church in Rampart House in 1964 while on a trip from Old Crow to Dawson.
Rampart House is now an abandoned historic site in Northern Yukon within the Porcupine River drainage basin. The site represents the furthest western extent of the Hudson Bay Company. The settlement was located on the north bank of the Porcupine River at the Alaska-Yukon border. Its location was chosen due to the Hudson Bay Companies withdrawal from Russian Alaska Trading Company territory after the United States of America acquired Alaska from Russia. Rampart House was established as a Hudson's Bay Trading Post in 1890.
A number of buildings dating back to that time remain intact on the site, including an Anglican Church and mission house, store, warehouse, and residences. The site of Rampart House is just one of many traditional camping sites used by the Gwich'in First Nation for thousands of years. Most of those that settled in this area were First Nation peoples. Within a few years of founding Rampart House, the Anglican Church was established and St. Luke's Church was built. By 1940 the Anglican Mission had moved to Old Crow where a new settlement was established. By 1947 the last resident had left Rampart House.
Old Log Church Museum, Whitehorse