Doll

Doll

Doll dressed in a zip-front royal blue parka

Fur trim at the bottom and around the hood. Doll has leather mukluk-style boots. Leather mitts are draped around the neck by a wool string with tassels. Doll has black 'hair'. The body appears to be made of pink and blue print flannelette with a "dress" of the same fabric. The face is made of a white material and is embroidered with a red mouth and black eyes.

When the Woman's Auxiliary in Old Crow was unable to make the long journey to Whitehorse for their meetings they made a doll to send in their place. The doll acted as a representative and was sold afterwards as a fundraising initiative. The money raised from the doll would be sent to Old Crow. This doll was sent to Whitehorse in 1962 when members of the Old Crow Woman's Auxiliary were unable to attend a meeting about the old log church. A new church was built to fit the growing congregation and meetings were being held to discuss the future of the church that served as the first Anglican Church in Whitehorse. The proceeds from this doll were donated to the old log church by the Old Crow Woman's Auxiliary.

In 1978 the Old Log Church received designation as a Territorial Historic Site and currently houses a museum dedicated to the presence of the Anglican Church in the Yukon.

By far the most important women's organization in the Anglican Church was the Women's Auxiliary. This was an organization for missionary work, mission education, and mission fund-raising founded in 1885 as an auxiliary to the official (male-controlled) mission society of the Anglican province of Canada. In 1902 the province of Canada gave up its mission society, and the Woman's Auxiliary became auxiliary to the new Mission Society of the Church of Canada (M.S.C.C.), a national organization.

In 1931 the Woman's Auxiliary formally enlarged its scope of work to include social service and religious education. It frequently came into conflict with male bishops, male clergy, and male church committees who wanted to control it, but it was largely successful in maintaining its independence until 1959. In that year it surrendered its autonomy in determining overseas mission policy to a joint committee of the M.S.C.C. and W.A. In 1966 it merged with other women's organizations to form the Anglican Church Women. In 1973 the A.C.W. was integrated with the General Synod. Since that time the organization continues to exist at the diocesan and parish level.

Institution

Old Log Church Museum, Whitehorse

Accession Number

1984.47

rollover rollover