The printing press was owned and used by The Whitehorse Star newspaper, Yukon's oldest surviving newspaper from the Gold Rush era. The Whitehorse Star began operation in 1900 and is still in operation today.
This printing press was manufactured by the Chandler and Price Company in Cleveland, Ohio at the turn of the twentieth century. It used inked plates to produce the impression on the paper. Although the press's earlier history is undocumented it is believed to have belonged to the Bennett Sun in Bennett, British Columbia. The press came to the Yukon and was in possession by The Whitehorse Star as early as 1925. At the time, the paper was published as weekly by newsman J.D. Skinner. He was solely responsible for advertising, reporting, editing, layout, and printing and publishing. The Whitehorse Star was a four to six page newspaper that was supported by local business through advertisement and subscription.
The Whitehorse Star used the Chandler and Price until the 1940s when it was retired in favour of a more technologically advanced printing press. It was pulled from service and allowed to collect dust in the storage space of the Whitehorse Star building. In 1970, The Whitehorse Star move locations prompting them to donate the press to MacBride Museum of Yukon History. Due to its sheer size and weight, the press was relegated to the shelterless grounds of the museum. In 1994, the museum successfully petitioned to have the printing press restored by the Canadian Conservation Institute in Ottawa. After much effort it is now restored to its original lustre with full working capacity.
MacBride Museum of Yukon History, Whitehorse